Creating project schedule for team and keeping track of the progress can be a nightmare but Microsoft Project Professional and SharePoint online can give some relief. This post will walk-through creating a new Ms Project project schedule and publishing it to the SharePoint site for team collaboration and later to track the change or progress.
Create and save project schedule to SharePoint task list
- Open Project professional 2013 and create a new project schedule
- Add resources. Please make sure the resource name (either email or display name) is similar to your SharePoint user display name or email format. Add custom fields if required so that you can publish those to SharePoint from project and make them available to your audience.
- Save the project to SharePoint online by selecting an existing site or new site. Once you click Save it will save and sync with project professional.
- Now go to the project site and navigate to the Task list, you will find the tasks there. Once you provide permission to this task list your team members can see the tasks assigned to them.
Tracking Project Progress
You can track the task progress by opening the project using project professional and running reports but in this case I am going to track by setting up a baseline. To do so please follow the steps below,
- Open your project in project professional and click set baseline.. from project>set baseline tab
- Choose the baseline settings from the dialog box and click OK. Note: you can create multiple baselines in one project.
- Save and sync the project (you can create these steps 1-3 during creating the project schedule)
- Now update some tasks.
- Open the project in project professional and choose "Tracking Gantt" from the view. You can then see the critical task and the progress of other tasks.
SharePoint Online supports creating multiple projects under one master projects and tracking the progress of that project. You can create views with filter to restrict viewing tasks from the unassigned users. And also you can use the reporting functionality of project professional to get the insight of your project. Project Online provides this capability as well as lots of other functionality requires to manage enterprise projects in a collaborative environment.
Thanks for reading.